Tuesday 4 October 2011

The ruling on one who continually prays for forgiveness so that he might be blessed with a child

 

In Soorat Nooh it speaks of the virtue of praying for forgiveness (istighfaar). What is the correct way of praying for forgiveness? There is an experiment – if we may call it such – where a colleague of mine at work had not been blessed with a child after a year and a half. After that he persisted in praying for forgiveness at all times and in all situations, after giving up unnecessary talk and seeking halaal in all his needs. Within less than a month, praise be to Allaah, he had the good news that his wife had become pregnant – may Allaah preserve this colleague and his offspring and family.


 Subhaan Allaah (glory be to Allaah); can this be applied to everyone who seeks wealth and prosperity?.


Praise be to Allaah.
 

 

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“I said (to them): ‘Ask forgiveness from your Lord,
verily, He is Oft‑Forgiving;

11. ‘He will send rain to you in abundance,

12. ‘And give you increase in wealth and children, and
bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers.’”

[Nooh 71:10-12] 

Al-Qurtubi said: 

The words “I said (to them): ‘Ask forgiveness from your
Lord’” mean: ask Him for forgiveness of your previous sins with
sincerity of faith.

“verily, He is Oft‑Forgiving” means, He forgives
everyone who turns to Him; this encourages us to repent.

“He will send rain to you in abundance” means, He will
send a great deal of rain to you.

“And give you increase in wealth and children, and bestow
on you gardens and bestow on you rivers”  

Al-Shu’bi said: ‘Umar went out to pray for rain and he did no
more than pray for forgiveness until he came back, then it rained. They
said: “We did not see you ask for rain.” He said: “I sought rain with the
real key by means of which rain is sought.” Then he recited (interpretation
of the meaning): “Ask forgiveness from your Lord, verily, He is
Oft‑Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance.” 

The word translated here as “key” – majaadeeh – refers to the
stars which the ancient Arabs claimed brought rain. What ‘Umar (may Allaah
be pleased with him) meant was to reject this false claim of the Arabs and
explain that he had sought rain by the correct means, which is praying for
forgiveness, not by means of the stars. 

A man complained to al-Hasan about a drought, and he said to
him: “Pray to Allaah for forgiveness.” Another man complained to him of
poverty and he said to him: “Pray to Allaah to forgive you.” Another man
said to him: “Pray to Allaah to bless me with a child.” He said: “Pray to
Allaah for forgiveness.” Another complained to him that his garden was dry.
He said to him: “Pray to Allaah for forgiveness.” We asked him about that
and he said: “This is not my personal opinion, for Allaah says in Soorat
Nooh (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Ask forgiveness from your Lord,
verily, He is Oft‑Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance. And give
you increase in wealth and children, and bestow on you gardens and bestow on
you rivers.” 

Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 18/301-302. 

Secondly: 

With regard to the
wording of prayers for forgiveness, it is better to use the words narrated
in the saheeh Sunnah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be
upon him), which he either said himself or enjoined the ummah to say: 

(i)               
It was narrated from Shaddaad
ibn Aws (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best prayer for forgiveness is
to say: Allaahumma anta rabbiy laa ilaaha illa anta, khalaqtani wa ana
‘abduka wa ana ‘ala ‘ahdika wa wa’dika ma astata’tu, a’oodhu bika min sharri
ma sana’tu aboo’u laka bi ni’matika ‘alayya wa aboo’u laka bi dhanbi,
faghfir li fa innahu laa yaghfir ul-dhunooba illa anta (O Allaah, You are my
Lord and I am Your slave, You have created me and I am faithful to my
covenant and my promise (to You) as much as I am able. I seek refuge with
You from the evil of that which I have done. I acknowledge before You all
the blessings You have bestowed upon me and I confess to You my sin. Forgive
me for there is no one who forgives sin except You).”

He said: Whoever says this during the day believing in it
with certainty and dies that day before evening comes, will be one of the
people of Paradise, and whoever says it at night believing in it with
certainty and dies before morning comes will be one of the people of
Paradise. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5947. 

(ii)             
It was narrated from Abu Moosa
al-Ash’ari that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
used to recite the following du’aa’: “Rabb ighfir li khati’ati wa jahli
wa israafi fi amri kullihi wa ma anta a’lam bihi minni, Allaahumma ighfir li
khataayaaya wa ‘amdi wa jahli wa hazli wa kulla dhaalika ‘indi, Allaahumma
ighfir li ma qaddamtu wa ma akhkhartu wa ma asrartu wa ma a’lantu anta
al-muqaddim wa anta al-mu’akhkhir wa anta ‘ala kulli shay’in qadeer (O
Allaah, forgive me my mistakes, my ignorance and my transgressing the limits
of righteousness in my deeds and whatever You know better than I. O Allaah,
forgive me the wrongs that I have committed deliberately or mistakenly or
jokingly, for all of that is possible in me. O Allaah, forgive my past and
future sins, what I have done secretly and openly, for You are the One Who
brings (some people) forward and puts (others) back, and You are able to do
all things).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (6035), Muslim (2719). 

(iii)           
It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar
said: We used to count that the Messenger of Allaah (S) said one hundred
times in a gathering: “Rabb ighfir li wa tub ‘alayya innaka anta
al-tawwaab ul-raheem (O Allaah forgive me and accept my repentance, for
You are the Accepter of repentance, the Most Merciful). 

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3434, where it says al-Tawwaab
al-Ghafoor (the Accepter of repentance, the Oft-Forgiving); Abu Dawood,
1516; Ibn Maajah, 3814. 

(iv)           
It was narrated from Abu Yasaar
that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Whoever says Astaghfir Allaah al-‘Azeem alladhi laa ilaaha illa huwa
al-hayyu al-qayyoom wa atoobu ilayhi (I ask forgiveness of Allaah the
Almighty, besides Whom there is no god, the Ever-Living, the Eternal, and I
repent to Him), will be forgiven even if his sin is fleeing from the
battlefield [a major sin].” 

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3577; Abu Dawood, 1517. 

(v)             
It was narrated from Abu Bakr
al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said to the Messenger of
Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Teach me a du’aa’
which I may recite in my prayer.” He said: “Say: Allaahumma inni zalamtu
nafsi zulman katheeran wa laa yaghfir ul-dhunooba illa anta faghfir li
maghfiratan min ‘indaka warhamni innaka anta al-ghafoor al-raheem (O
Allaah, I have wronged myself greatly and no one forgives sins but You, so
grant me forgiveness from You and have mercy on me, for You are the
Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful).” 

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 799; Muslim, 2705. 

And Allaah knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment